43rd Annual WSRA Conference & Tradeshow
Submit Presentation Proposal
About the Conference
The WSRA Conference and Trade Show is a showcase for the latest recycling, reuse, and waste reduction programs and technology. This event brings together industry leaders to learn, connect, inspire, and be inspired. We are now accepting proposals for breakout session presentations.
The 2023 conference will be hosted in-person at the Yakima Convention Center.
WSRA’s conference provides stakeholders in Washington’s recycling and waste prevention community with the knowledge and resources to address current challenges in the recycling industry, implement and improve recycling programs, advocate for policies and initiatives that advance recycling and waste prevention, and support the development of a generation of professionals for whom sustainability is a core tenet of their work and life philosophy.
Please read the instructions below for more details.
Proposal Criteria & Content
Proposals will be evaluated based on their ability to provide new and innovative content to attendees. We are seeking enthusiastic and dynamic presenters that can share ideas and innovations in the recycling, waste reduction, and resource and materials management industry.
What can you share to inspire others in this industry? What do you see as the next horizon in recycling? What challenges lie ahead for all of us? What new ideas or innovations have you found to be more effective in your work? We are seeking conference breakout sessions that are interactive, inspiring, informative, and memorable. In addition, proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Does the proposal include tactical and relevant information for an audience of recycling and solid waste industry professionals?
- Are the presenters knowledgeable in the topic area?
- Does the workshop represent a diverse experience, point of view, or somehow draw on the perspective of communities not represented in other workshops?
- Does the presenter avoid self-promotion, negatively portraying specific members of the industry, and selling of products?
- Will the presentation deliver tangible learning takeaways to participants in a fun and engaging format?
Suggested Session Topics and Concepts
|Markets||Materials and Resource Management|
|Industry Challenges and Barriers||Compost and Recycling Steam Contamination|
|International and Diverse Perspectives||Reuse and Repair|
|Facility and System Operations||Food Waste and Recovery|
|Relationship to Manufacturing||Organizational Partnerships|
|Policy and Government Relations||Industry Funding|
|Diversity, Equity & Inclusion||Reducing Consumption|
- Describe innovations, ideas, and projects related to influencing people to increase recycling, composting, waste reduction and reuse efforts
- Focus on key insights. The goal is to share that “ah-ha!” moment
- Highlight tangible results. Use real-world examples
- Provide a take-away solution that could be applied by other attendees
- Think outside the box! Be captivating and engaging for the audience. We want presenters to think about TED/TEDx style talks. They should be entertaining as well as informative. We are not looking for the standard conference presentations
- Compelling visuals are highly encouraged Multimedia presentations are great but are subject to the technology limitations.
Presentations should not:
- Promote a business, organization, product or service.
- Use a lot of text-heavy PowerPoint slides.
If you can craft a presentation that will actively engage participants, deliver a solid message about a key issue facing the industry, and send attendees away with identifiable lessons learned, then we invite you to submit your proposal!
- Full Breakout Session: 60 minutes, 15 minutes of Q&A/Discussion time. Shorter presentations 20-30 minutes in length are also accepted. The WSRA conference committee will combine proposals that address similar areas and topics to form a full 75-minute session.
- 20/20 RE-Slam Style (PechaKucha Style): Presentations are 20 slides, 20 seconds per slide for a total of 6 minutes and 40 seconds with slides advancing automatically. Presentations will be image focused with limited text.
Session Format: Sessions will be in person by PowerPoint slides.
We are seeking enthusiastic and dynamic presenters that can share ideas and innovations in the recycling, waste reduction, and resource and materials management industry. What can you share to inspire others in this industry? What do you see as the next horizon in recycling? What challenges lie ahead for all of us? What new ideas or innovations have you found to be more effective in your work? We are seeking conference breakout sessions that are interactive, inspiring, informative, and memorable.
Proposals for presentations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 16th, 2022.
Presenter Benefits and Responsibilities
- A discount on full conference registration
- If a confirmed presenter is unable to attend the conference, they are responsible for notifying the WSRA office at the earliest opportunity and for finding a replacement with similar skills and qualifications.
· Complete proposals will be given priority
Deceember 16, 2022
|Notification of Acceptance/Regret||Early January 2023|
Speaker Materials Due
· Speaker agreement form, headshots and short (1-paragraph) bio
Early March 2023
|Final Deadline for AV Requests||April 15, 2023|
|Slides and/or multi-media due||April 25, 2023|
|Date of Presentation||May 22 or 23, 2023|
Contact us at email@example.com or call 253.525.5145.