Submit Presentation Proposal
About the Conference
The WSRA Conference and Trade Show is a showcase for the latest recycling, reuse, and waste reduction programs and technology. This event brings together industry leaders to learn, connect, inspire, and be inspired. We are now accepting proposals for breakout session presentations.
The 2021 conference will be hosted virtually over the course of two days. There will be four main breakout sessions hosting speakers grouped around similar waste and recycling trends, topics, and technologies. Attendees will be able to interact with speakers using the online platform.
WSRA’s conference provides stakeholders in Washington’s recycling and waste prevention community with the knowledge and resources to address current challenges in the recycling industry, implement and improve recycling programs, advocate for policies and initiatives that advance recycling and waste prevention, and support the development of a generation of professionals for whom sustainability is a core tenet of their work and life philosophy.
Please read the instructions below for more details.
Proposal Criteria & Content
Proposals will be evaluated based on their ability to provide new and innovative content to attendees. We are seeking enthusiastic and dynamic presenters that can share ideas and innovations in the recycling, waste reduction, and resource and materials management industry.
What can you share to inspire others in this industry? What do you see as the next horizon in recycling? What challenges lie ahead for all of us? What new ideas or innovations have you found to be more effective in your work? We are seeking conference breakout sessions that are interactive, inspiring, informative, and memorable. In addition, proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Does the proposal include tactical and relevant information for an audience of recycling and solid waste industry professionals?
- Are the presenters knowledgeable in the topic area?
- Does the workshop represent a diverse experience, point of view, or somehow draw on the perspective of communities not represented in other workshops?
- Does the presenter avoid self-promotion, negatively portraying specific members of the industry, and selling of products?
- Will the presentation deliver tangible learning takeaways to participants in a fun and engaging format?
Suggested Session Topics and Concepts
The Conference Committee is seeking proposals focused in the following areas:
- Social / Environmental Justice in the Recycling and Waste Industry
- End-Markets & Market Development
- Contamination Reduction in recycling collection programs
- Harmonization of programs/materials and Cohesive Messaging
- Product Stewardship/Extended Producer Responsibility
- Product upstream Design/Closed Loop for materials
- Sustainable Materials Management and Life Cycle Analysis
- Innovative or Best Practices for Recycling/Waste Prevention Education and Outreach, whether for during Covid-19, or post Covid-19
- New technologies/enhanced MRF operations
- Materials management legislation and policy developments
Additional Topics Include: Different State Perspectives, Food Waste Prevention, Construction and Demolition, MRF Operations and Technology, Commercial and Business Recycling, Waste Reduction, Reuse & Repair, Metrics of Success, Recycling Industry Workforce Challenges, Organics Contamination, Safety and Operations, Solid Waste Financing and Planning, Non-Traditional Materials (Cartons, Cigarette butts, etc.), Plastic Bags Bans, Legislative Process and How to Engage.
- Describe innovations, ideas, and projects related to influencing people to increase recycling, composting, waste reduction and reuse efforts
- Focus on key insights. The goal is to share that “ah-ha!” moment
- Highlight tangible results. Use real-world examples
- Provide a take-away solution that could be applied by other attendees
- Think outside the box! Be captivating and engaging for the audience. We want presenters to think about TED/TEDx style talks. They should be entertaining as well as informative. We are not looking for the standard conference presentations
- Compelling visuals are highly encouraged Multimedia presentations are great but are subject to the technology limitations of the online platform.
Presentations should not:
- Promote a business, organization, product or service.
- Use a lot of text-heavy PowerPoint slides.
If you can craft a presentation that will actively engage participants, deliver a solid message about a key issue facing the industry, and send attendees away with identifiable lessons learned, then we invite you to submit your proposal!
- Full Breakout Session: 60 minutes, 15 minutes of Q&A/Discussion time. Shorter presentations 20-30 minutes in length are also accepted. The WSRA conference committee will combine proposals that address similar areas and topics to form a full 75-minute session.
- 20/20 RE-Slam Style (PechaKucha Style): Presentations are 20 slides, 20 seconds per slide for a total of 6 minutes and 40 seconds with slides advancing automatically. Presentations will be image focused with limited text.
Session Format: Sessions will be viewed through the WSRA virtual conference platform (Whova), which utilizes Zoom .
We are seeking enthusiastic and dynamic presenters that can share ideas and innovations in the recycling, waste reduction, and resource and materials management industry. What can you share to inspire others in this industry? What do you see as the next horizon in recycling? What challenges lie ahead for all of us? What new ideas or innovations have you found to be more effective in your work? We are seeking conference breakout sessions that are interactive, inspiring, informative, and memorable.
Proposals for presentations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 14th, 2022.
Presenter Benefits and Responsibilities
- A discount on full conference registration
- If a confirmed presenter is unable to attend the conference, they are responsible for notifying the WSRA office at the earliest opportunity and for finding a replacement with similar skills and qualifications.
January 14th, 2022
|Notification of Acceptance/Regret||
March 18, 2022
|Slides and/or multi-media due||
April 12, 2022
|Date of Presentation||
May 15-18, 2022
Contact Chapter Staff at email@example.com or call 253.525.5145.
WSRA 42nd Annual Conference
May 15 - 18, 2022
Semiahmoo Resort, Blaine WA
Attendees click below to access the conference